1.18.2007

Snow in Malibu = End of the World?


Ok God, what gives???

On January 27th, I officially said goodbye to my Cambridge apartment. Along with the able assistance of my family, friends and boyfriend, I carefully loaded all my belongings into a Penske truck and hoisted my precious car onto a tow dolly. It was a long day of lifting, carrying and climbing, but it was done. And all through it, I smiled.

On January 28th at 7:00am, Allan and I climbed into our 14 footer, and girded our loins to spend the next 6 days in this far-from luxurious truck cab. After lots of hugs, goodbyes and tears, we pulled out onto Route 2 and commenced the Westward trek. Despite the tears, I smiled on.

For the next 6 days, we consistently drove 12 hours a day. I won't lie, it wasn't easy and we were exhausted at the end of every day. We had some fun (notable were the stops at Laughlin, NV, the poor man's Vegas and the beautiful states of AZ and NM), but as a whole, it was challenging - we had to spent New Year's Eve in a cheap hotel in Amarillo, Texas when the I-40 was shut down due to ice storms; we drove through teeth-clenching, rage-inducing bumper to bumper traffic in New Mexico (seriously, people got out of their cars and build snow men while waiting for ANY movement); I had to watch the oil slowly leak out of my car after a wayward rock smashed the oil pan (it cost me $600 to fix!). I think you get the idea. Despite these patience-testing trials, I smiled on.

When we pulled into our driveway in California on January 4th, I was ecstatic. Never mind that I was now a California resident...I didn't have to be in that *&!@#@ truck anymore. We made it. We survived the long haul, and didn't kill each other along the way!

Many of you must be asking - why in the world did you want to drive cross-country, but most importantly, why were you smiling the whole time??? In answer to the first question - I have always wanted to drive cross-country and I don't regret doing it. But, I will never do it again. More importantly, the answer to the second question. Why was I smiling?

Why?

Because the warmer shores of California were waiting for me. Beckoning to me. Calling me. I could permanently pack away the bulky winter sweaters, Timberland snow boots and long underwear. The shovel and ice pick that resided in the trunk of my car could be retired. Snow tires, numb fingertips and salt-stained shoes would be a thing of the past.

Or so I thought...

It's been warmer in Boston then it has in Southern California ... California has had more snow than Beantown ... These are clearly frightening signs of global warming, but seriously God, couldn't you have at least let me enjoy a little Southern California sunshine?

1 Comments:

Blogger Emmie said...

think you love the shores of California... well finally time to pack up those bulky thing.... enjoy your days.... i liked the photos u have posted in your blog.... i would surely visit your blog again.... well u can drop by My Blog sometimes too... hope u will find it interesting...!!!

6:13 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home