4.19.2006

Philosophical Exposition


I've been spending a lot of time in and out of the vets office as of late because of some recent health issues with my dog. Now, I have promised myself (and loyal readers, all 2 of you) that this blog would not contain endless blather about him. And it won't, so read on you faithful 2. However, I do feel the need to vent about a recent trip to the vet. Maybe it's because Im feeling angry today. Mean people suck, and there are too many of them in the world. Even mean people can masquerade as "nice" people and I seem to be bumping into a lot of them lately - maybe I'm too naive to tell the difference. And, my inner compass, or some warped sense of right/wrong makes me keep my mouth shut . . . I figure, why bother saying anything - what good could possibly come of it?

I digress.

So, back to the vet. Last week, a young woman (let's call her "Betty") brought in a Pomeranian puppy with an all too visibly broken leg (I mean, really gross in a dangly sort of way). The poor thing was whining and wimpering and it completely broke my heart. For whatever reason, Betty took a shine to me and started talking to me about her situation and how she had no money to pay for the vet - not even the $100.00 required for the visit. And of course, she did not have the $3,000 required to actually fix the poor little critter. Betty was very vociferous (aka "goddam loud"), and swore just about every other word, moaning at how the vet didn't care about her dog and how she was going to report them to Hank Phillipi Ryan. Now, I am certainly one to blurt out expletives when appropriate, but this was clearly too much. Everyone else in the waiting room was fast becoming clearly uncomfortable with the situation, and each person looked away pretending not to hear very-vocal-Betty. I know that everyone was silently grateful that Betty had not chosen them as her confessor.

Now, I consider myself a pretty understanding person and I try to be as non-judgmental as possible. But, my impression of Betty is that she is the type of person who would decide to get pregnant because "gee, wouldn't it be fun to have a baby!" with no understanding or appreciation of responsibility and the like. Harsh, I know. But believe me, everyone in the waiting room would agree with this assessment. Long story short, I think Betty left the dog at the vet and never came back for it.

So, what's my point? Why the endless tirade? I just wish that people would put more thought and action into the consequences of decisions that they make (myself included). And not only when it comes to big decisions like purchasing a pet, but also to smaller decisions, such as promises or words spoken to others. They do in fact mean something.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home