4.26.2006

Rasheru = Rachelle



That is what my name looks like in Japanese characters. Apparently, it is pronounced "Rasheru". (Consonants are pronounced more or less the same way as in English. "A" sounds like a in father, but shorter. "U" sounds like oo in hook, but with less rounding of the lips. "E" sounds like e in met.) If you are curious to know what your Japanese name is, check this out.

For whatever reason, I keep thinking of the classic line "more intensity" from Lost in Translation, which ranks up there as one of my favorite movies.

Such a fascinating language. I have a "Top 100 things To Do Before I die" list, and being somewhat conversant in Japanese is on that list. Hence my fascination with my Japanese name. I will visit Japan one of these days (not this year...this year is Thailand and Italy). I definitely need to learn more about the customs of this country, as I fear I will inadvertently insult half the country!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home