8.10.2006

We're Going to Vegas Baby, Terrorists be Damned!


It has been a record lapse since my last entry, and for that, a bijillion apologies to my loyal readers...or remaining reader. Thanks to Vijay for the proverbial kick in the pants, when he admonished me: "You must be ridiculously busy? 2 weeks and no blog entry? Your faithful readers DEMAND that you post an entry toute de suite!!! It doesn't even need to be creative or funny. We just need to know you are still out there."

So, Vijay, this is for you. And, yes, I am still alive and kicking...barely.

Let's talk about Las Vegas, good 'ole bastion of debauchery oddly located smack dab in the middle of a desert. I have been going to said oasis once a year for the last four years and flew home last night from my yearly pilgrimage. Hands down, this year's trip is by far the most memorable - ever. My body has been pushed to record levels of sleep and food deprivation and I couldn't be more pleased. Since "What Happens in Vegas Stays in Vegas," details will not be forthcoming. Needless to say, I will never forget this trip.

Unfortunately, my flight home from Vegas coincided with the discovery of the massive terrorist airplane plot. While I am very grateful this horrible plot was foiled, I was very shaken and nervous about my flight home. I have had too many brushes with terror - I was living in NYC and flying home from Europe on 9-11 when my flight was diverted to Newfoundland. I spent that entire week living on church pews before being allowed to return to the U.S; My sister and I were in London the day of the Tube bombings and I was flying on the day of the "shoe bomber." As you can imagine, I was very happy to make it home and hug my two dogs.

I would like to say that I will not need to fly until the terror threat subsides, but my new job promotion has me traveling so much this month, I might as well buy property at Logan and live there permanently. I am not looking forward to my many work-related trips, but I refuse to let terrorists make me live my life in fear. This is the mantra that kept me going when I lived in NYC throughout the many post 9-11 scares (anthrax etc.), and I will continue to hold fast to these words.

The travel will slow down next month, but for now, I press on. Terrorists be damned.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home